A great way to start the New Year - connecting with peers, reflecting on ourselves and planning for the year head. Happy 2014!!
I got "tagged" (nominated) by
@mattynicoll - check out his awesome blog here
I got "tagged" (nominated) by
The blogging task includes:
11 Random Facts about me!!
- If I didn't become a teacher I would have studied to become a carpenter
- I'm quite good at line dancing
- When I was in university I facilitated a programme where each Sunday morning we closed the swimming pool to men so Muslim women could come and swim - I've never met a group of women so strong or fun!
- I'm an introvert. I enjoy my own company and need alone time to recharge.
- I came to New Zealand for only one year - 10 years ago ...
- Watching Shortland Street is my guilty pleasure.
- My best travel experience is when I hired a man named Hien to drive me on the back on his motorbike through the highlands of Vietnam.
- I love grocery shopping!
- Last year I won my first indoor bowls club title.
- I love the satisfaction I get from crossing things off a to-do list.
- I really miss Canadian winters!
Answers to @mattnicoll's Questions
- What inspired you to become a teacher? I guess the fact that I really like learning. I actually started university studying business but quickly decided that it wasn't for me so I started looking at what else I might do and realised that all my part-time jobs - swim instructor, babysitter, day-camp programmer all involved kids and teaching and that's what I really loved!
- What is/are the biggest change/s you made to your teaching in 2013? Personalising learning for each student.
- What is the best thing about being a teacher? When students get excited about learning something new or feel confident and rewarded with their learning achievements.
- Which country do you most want to visit/revisit next? Spain
- What does Christmas mean to you? Christmas means family ... and pavlova with strawberries!
- What are your favourite films? Hmmm, many to choose from but since its just been Christmas I'm going to say Elf - I watch it every year at this time.
- What type of music do you listen to? Country music ... I love Canadian country music radio.
- Film or theatre? Why? Theatre - each performance has something new to offer and there is engagement between a cast and the audience.
- What pet/s do you have? None, but I have some plants I'm pretty partial to.
- What are you looking forward to most in 2014? Watching my new baby grow
- If you had a million dollars but had to give it all away, what would you do with the money? I would give it to micro-finance companies. I like the idea of empowering communities of people to help themselves and build businesses based on an individuals own skills and ideas.
My 11 Questions:
- What is one of your goals for 2014?
- What is your favourite place in New Zealand?
- How do you recharge after a long day?
- What advice would you give to a beginning teacher?
- Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
- Who is the most influential person in your life?
- What is your mantra?
- What inspires you?
- Sweet or savoury?
- What was your best moment of 2013?
- What is your favourite app?